You are welcome to this article. In this post we shall be discussing how to make balm in Nigeria. But before we veer into the steps on how to make balm let’s look at what balm is, the types of balm and their uses.
What is a Balm?
A balm is a cream or liquid used to heal, soothe or mitigate pain.
Balm can be made from any oily, fragrant or substance, often of medicinal value.
Types of Balm
Here in Nigeria we have different types of balm, some of them are lip balm, heel balm, pain relief balm and cold relief balm. Below are some of the balms in Nigeria and their uses.
- Lip Balm as the name implies is used on the lips to prevent dryness. Especially during the harmattan season when everyone experience dryness. Another type of lip balm is pink lip balm. This gives the lip a light pink colour for those who like pink lips.
- Another balm is pain relief balm which can also serve as cold relief balm. This is the commonest type of balm in Nigeria. It helps soothe pain and relieve cold. It is also useful for pains related to arthritis, muscle pain, headaches and other join pains.
- Heel Balm is another type of balm that is used for relieving pain related to the heel. Especially those who have dry skin. Such people suffer pain and tear during the dry harmattan season. Heel balm helps prevent tear and relieve pain.
How to Make Balm in Nigeria
However, in this post I will show you how to make pain relief balm which can also serve as cold relief balm. Just like the common abonoki balm we all know.
This balm can be used as a cure for aches and strains, tension headaches, cold and congestion, back pain, Neck and shoulder tension, and joint pain.
Materials Needed to Make Balm in Nigeria
- Paraffin oil½ kg as lubricant.
- Petroleum gel¼ kg as skin treatment.
- Beeswax thumb size.
- Industrial camphor ½ tbs or 2 balls it treats infection, relieves pain and body itching.
- Peppermint 2 tbs (spoons) it aids in relieving cold.
- Eucalyptus salt 2 -3 tbs antimicrobial cold reliever.
- Menthol 4 -6 tbs it cleanses the lungs.
Method of Preparation
- Put an empty dry metal pot on heat.
- Pour in the petroleum gel and allow to melt.
- Pour in the paraffin oil and stir.
- Pour in the beeswax allow to melt and then stir.
- Reduce the heat intensity and then add menthol and and pepper mint and stir.
- Add eucalyptus salt and stir.
- Bring it down allow to cool for a bit.
Use or Package for sale.
How to Make Pink Lip Balm in Nigeria.
There are hundreds of pink lip balms sold in stores but not all of them are natural. Since artificial or chemical based pink lip balms have side effects.
As some of such balms could cause itchy and cracked lips, it is advisable to make your own home made pink lip balm with natural ingredients.
Again, some pink lip balms sold in the stores, including e- commerce stores are very expensive. So making your own home made lip balm will help reduce cost and save money.
The ingredients for preparing pink lip balm at home are all natural. They are things that could be found in local markets within your reach.
You can also find them in markets where natural beauty ingredients are sold.
Moreover, you can also make money producing and selling your own natural pink lips balm. Yes, you can do that without stress and make a it if money from it.
So sit tight, let me show you step by step how to make your own natural pink lips balm.
You may also like “How to Package and Supply Food Stuffs”
- Ingredients Needed for Making Pink Lip Balm
- 1 cup of beet root juice
- 2 table spoon of coldpress coconut oil
- 1 table spoon of bee wax
- How to Make Pink Lip Balm in Nigeria
- Pour your beet root juice in a pot
- Put the pot on the stove to boil, whilenit’s boiling
- Add 2 table spoon of cold pressed coconut oil into the beet root juice and stir very well and let it boil till it thickens. When the beetroot juice thickens, you will see that the oil will be seated from the beet root juice. When you see that you can differentiate the thickened juice from the coconut oil.
- Remove the pot form the stove
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl
- Add 1 table spoon of bee wax to the mixture
- Put water into a pot, then place the bowl into the water in the pot.
- Then bring it to boil while you keep stiring till the wax is completely melted.
- When it is completely melted, remove the pot from the stove, then remove the bowl from the water.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes
- Add vitamin E to the mixture and mix it together
- Now put the mixture in the fridge for to harden.
- Then bring it out from the fridge. You will notice that the beetroot would have settled at the bottom of the bowl and the oil and melted wax on top of the beetroot.
- With a spoon, mix the beetroot, wax and the oil together till you are no longer able to differentiate them.
Get a small container with lid and store your pink lips balm.
You can also produce in large quantity for commercial purpose.
What is your take on this?
Share your views, ask questions, and contribute to this post using the comment box below.
If you find this helpful, help others see it by sharing on Facebook , Twitter by using the share icons below.
For more information. Contact me on WhatsApp 08185741226